Early Elementary Workshop
If you have any questions, please contact Christopher Ograin, UCSB Mathematics Project Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (805) 893-5912.
This workshop is intended for teachers in grades TK-1. The goal is to provide strategies for engaging students in rigorous mathematical problem solving experiences and investigations.
Summer Dates: June 20-21, 2023
Time: 8:30am-3:30pm Each Day
Location: Rio del Sol Elementary School, Oxnard
Registration Fee: $200
Participants may earn a stipend of up to $100.
For an additional fee you may also earn 2 quarter units of course credit through UCSB Professional and Continuing Education.
Participants in this workshop will
- Engage in mathematical sense-making activities.
- Learn how to transform their classrooms into thinking classrooms.
- Practice routines, such as Counting Collections, Choral Counting, Cognitively-Guided Instruction and Describe-Draw-Describe, for engaging students in mathematics reasoning activities.
- Be a part of a community of developing and dynamic early childhood mathematics teachers.
- Visit classrooms to observe routines and problem solving activities in practice with students.
- Full participation in the two-day workshop
- A commitment to incorporate what is learned into everyday classroom practices
School or District Commitment
- Registration fee of $200
- A commitment to support the teacher in using these teaching practices in the classroom
- Jeff Linder, Mathematics Specialist, Montecito Union School District
- Abbey Shaw Linder, Teacher, Rio del Sol School
- Kristy Guerrero, Teacher, Canalino School